Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Contrapposto: An Examination of A Life With Art

 

book cover for Contrapposto

Author: Dave Eggers

Genre: General fiction, adult, romance

Publisher: Knopf, Pantheon, Vintage and Anchor

Format: NetGalley E-book

Release Date: June 9th, 2026

TW: Period typical homophobia, drug use, homicide, suicide, nudity (non sexual, in a life drawing context), mentions of war and death in war, cancer

This novel was a typical David Eggers joint; searing, character driven and incredibly vivid. However, there were some flaws, particularly in the portrayal of women. But first, the plot.

Cricket Dib is a man in love with two things: art and the woman who encouraged his love, Olympia. As Cricket grows, and  deepens as an artist, his relationship with Olympia also changes. They drift apart and crash together through different continents and times. Cricket also has to deal with the art world, and really discover what his art means to him.  

This is a character story first and foremost, and in that, the novel excels. Cricket is a well realized character. He has flaws (mainly passivity) and strengths. The fact that the novel is in 3rd person limited POV makes it easier to be in his mind as well. However, some may see Cricket as 'boring.' I understand that, as he does have solipsistic tendencies. However, I was always on his side, and was devastated when terrible events would happen in his life. His relationship wiith art, the thing that never really leaves him, is the main theme of the book, and this theme carries the narrative.

This close  view excludes other characters, however. I wanted to like Olympia, I really did, but she was a stereotypical 'crazy woman.' I felt her pain, and felt sympathy for her, but she would often do things that made her unrealistic. Her family life was lightly touched on, and her motivations were also light on the ground. 

This odd way that women were written extends to come of the side characters (like a millionaires dissatisfied wife) mere reflections of Cricket. I wish this wasn't the case. The male side characters, like Carpenter and Jed in specific were more fleshed out. 

Despite this, I really enjoyed the novel, and the illustrations (Cricket's sketchbook) were amazing too. Mind the trigger warnings, and you'll find a vivid read. 

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC! 

Final Rating:  4 out of 5 stars 

Drink Paring: Black tea while looking out of the window

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment