
Author: Kim Narby
Genre: General fiction, new adult, romance elements, women's fiction, LGBTQ rep
Publisher: Bindery Books
Format: NetGalley E-book
Release Date: May 5th, 2026
TW: sexual assault, rape, thoughts of self harm, paranoia
This book was a harrowing read, and really stuck with me after I finished it. But first, the plot:
Trace and Jordan are two queer women who meet in college, after Trace compliments Jordan's clothing. Soon after, they are joined by Sylvia, a woman whom they both believe is untouchable in some way. Sylvia has damage and holds herself apart, and so when she starts hanging with Trace and Jordan, she opens up. All three of them end up in a queerplatonic relationship while trying to navigate life.However, later, Trace and Sylvia get married and Jordan moves on to a job on a different coast, changing the dynamic again. Why did these people split? Will they manage to reconcile in the end, and navigate a new season of their lives together?
First, I loved the way the prose was written. The third person limited perspective felt stifling in certain moments, but held the reader enough at a distance as to not overwhelm them. The PoV's were all very distinct, however, I had a bit of trouble following time shifts (some of the chapters are in flashback). I believe that was because they were captioned things like '8 Years Before Saturn Returning."
This is a character driven story, and predictably, the characters were the best part of the book. They were so real that they were uncomfortable at points. None of the characters are wholly 'good'. They are people with their own flaws, and oh boy are they flawed. Trace in particular was one of my favourite characters, but difficult to read about due to her extreme paranoia and neediness. However, this was realistic and I commend the novel for that. There are explicit sex scenes here, as sex is a natural part of these character's lives, and they were well written. (I also appreciate that the tarot readings were accurate!)
Other side characters were again, sketched thin, but they very clearly had their own lives. However, most of the focus was on our three main characters.
Mind the trigger warnings, people, and you find a coming of age story with depth and richness. I can't wait to read more from this author!
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC!
Final Rating: 4.5 (rounded up to 5) stars
Drink Paring: Oolong, deepening from dark to light for each steep
No comments:
Post a Comment