Wednesday, June 24, 2026

Queenswoood: A Faerie Tail Of A Fantasy


book cover for Queenswood

Author: Kathleen Schwab

Genre: Fantasy, Romantic elements,historical fiction slight LGBTQ rep 

Publisher: Blackstone Publishing

Format: NetGalley E-book

Release Date: June 16th, 2026

TW: Murder, implications of slavery and rape, kidnapping, childbirth, imprisonment towards marriage.

I love stories involving the fae, and this novel felt like a faerie tale in the best and worst ways. But first, the plot:

Rhiannon, an Irish noblewoman after the Norwegian invasion, longs to leave her lonely life in her family's manor. Her siblings have gone to create their own lives by getting married, or are too old for her to relate to. She has a curious mind, and eventually sees herself devoted to learning and God.  Angus, the fae High Prince is also lonely. He keeps to himself, and finds court life stifling. He'd much rather roam the wilds of the fey realm. However, this all changes when Angus receives a prophecy of marriage: he must bring a mortal woman to the marriage alter (the first among years) or his family line will fail. When Angus pursues Rhiannon, her decision will determine the destiny of Angus's line and the fae nobility in general. 

The characters were the best part of the book. Although they were held somewhat apart through use of third person limited POV, I was able to distinguish all three main perspectives from each other. Angus for example is more closed off. I lved Rhiannon the most, however. I related to her as a bookish dreamer, and was saddened when she was taken from the Abbey she found peace in, and was happy after she found a new path forward. I also was surprised by how much I liked Cormac, a farm-boy who falls for Angus's sister and a man who was way in over his head. I had no trouble with the POV's but some might which is understandable. I appreciate that the fae are different from the humans but still parse-able to the reader. I appreciate that queerness was acknowledged among the fae as well. 

I also really enjoyed the tone of the book. It reads like a fairy tail, and the prose also matches that. (In fact, a bunch of fairy tales are adapted and put into this book, riding off the original story.) However, due to this, there are only a few locations that are very vivid. Most other places are sketched in, which may cause some friction to certain readers. Like a fairytale, the romantic elements in this book are not explicit, and fade to black.  

The fairy tale-ness of this story can also be its biggest downfall, as the ending is very abrupt and final. I resonated with it, but some readers who are expecting series potential may not. There are also darker tropes of fairy tales that are used, like the marriage as abduction trope, and slavery (humans towards fae and human raiders selling other humans). This is not gory or violent, but it is important to the plot.   

If you're looking for  a dreamy read, even if things might seem a bit distant, I would recommend this book. 

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Drink Paring: Green tea to match the Queenswood

No comments:

Post a Comment